Monday, December 29, 2008

Music y'all should hear - The Airborne Toxic Event


Discovered this band earlier tonight when I saw that 'Sometime Around Midnight' had been added to this week's BBC Radio 1 playlist. Gave it a listen on Blip.fm and now I'm digging their album 'The Airborne Toxic Event'on my iPod. The group was formed in 2006 in Los Angeles by fiction writer Mikel Jollet, who began writing a series of songs after being diagnosed with Autoimmune Deficiency. Mikel was joined by keyboardist Steven Chen, bassist Noah Harmon, drummer Daren Taylor, and keyboardist and violinist Anna Bulbrook. Last year the LA Times tagged them as one of the Top 3 LA Bands to watch in 2008.

Their name The Airborne Toxic Event was taken from the 1985 book 'White Noise', in which a poisonous chemical cloud is released from a railcar. In 2006, they released an Ep titled Does This Mean You're Moving On? In 2008 they released their debut album The Airborne Toxic Event.

Much to my chagrin I just recalled that The Airborne Toxic Event performed on the second stage at last September's Virgin Music Festival here in Toronto. I must have been camped out in the Bacardi dance tent or forcing my way to the front of the crowd at the main stage for Oasis at the time. After checking their tour schedule I see they will be back performing at Toronto's El Mocambo on March 9th, 2009. They are also scheduled to appear on David Letterman on January 16th. Check for more tour dates in your town here.



No comments:

Post a Comment