Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Who I Saw in 2008 - Kaiser Chiefs


The Mod Club, November 18

I arrived at the Mod Club from the CNMAs just in time to get a beverage and squeeze myself into a small place in the capacity crowd near the back. I still haven't got a clue who was, or if there was an opening act. The Mod Club was sold out and ready to roll when the Kaiser Chiefs took to the stage opening with Spanish Metal. I hadn't had much time to absorb their new album, Off With Their Heads so like everyone else I was waiting for the big hits.

High energy, lead singer Ricky Wilson ruled the stage and seemed to be everywhere all at once, including an early run through the crowd - somehow coming within about 10 feet of where I was standing and then getting back through the crowd to the stage in record time. The hits kept coming - Never Miss a Beat, Every Day I Love You Less and Less, Ruby and Modern Way.

Near the end, Wilson crowdsurfed his way through I Predict a Riot - and ended up running the length of the Mod Club bar and helping himself to a drink during Take My Temperature. By the time the show closed with rousing sing-a-long Oh My God the crowd and the Chiefs were spent. Definitely one of the best shows I've seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment